CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 5, 2008

Our Advent Calendar Doll

Last year, my mother was finally able to do what she had been wanting to do for several years. Give my kids an advent doll. She saw them in a catalog,(I forget which one, Garnet Hill I think) and tried to order one but each year they were sold out. She was finally able to purchase one and then got lucky enough to find a giant rag doll at the thrift shop and made one too. It is very cool and my kids look forward to it each night, especially the little ones. She did a great job making it and it actually hangs in our laundry room year round (since it is too big for my Christmas bins).
I think the only thing I would change is the size of the pockets (my mother agrees) since I have 4 kids and it's difficult to find things small enough that 4 will fit in some of the pockets. Other than that, it's perfect.
One trip to the dollar store for candy and goodies and we were ready for the season. I did decide for a few of the days that I would just put one item in the pocket and the rest would be handed out when the doll pocket was "opened". I was pretty excited about the little figures our Dollar Tree had that were from the Bible. I found Mary, Jesus, Noah, David & Goliath. Perfect for the Christmas season. There are a few days that Rebecca was given something different since the items were not age appropriate for her. It is hard to find something that will appeal to kids from 3 to 16.

No comments: